- Remington, Jane Strawbridge, Remington, Eliphalet, New York State Historic Trust, Lincklaen Land Co. and Ltd., Ledyard Family, Remington Family, and Hubbard Family
- This Moore Brothers Collection is comprised mostly of documents pertaining to the sale of Lorenzo in 1969 to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation. This collection also includes genealogical research and personal correspondence, but it makes up a very small part of the collection.
- 3 manuscript boxes and 1.25 linear feet
- Scope and Content:
The Moore Brothers Collection documents the sale and business proceedings of the sale of Lorenzo and the remaining lands in Jane Strawbridge Remington's estate and include the Remington Estate records, account books, land sales to the State of New York, business documents for Lincklaen Lands Co. and Ltd., land surveys, a property book, an abstract of title, bonds, an unknown house inventory, and maps.
- Biographical / Historical:
The Lorenzo mansion was put up for sale after the death of the last owner, George Strawbridge Ledyard Jr in 1969. By the decision of the 8 remaining heirs of the Jane Strawbridge Ledyard (nee Remington) estate, they decided to sell Lorenzo, its land, and all of its contents to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.
Towards the end of his life, George Strawbridge Ledyard Jr. started a company called the Lincklaen Lands Co. and Ltd. to try to sell the remaining land in the estate of Jane Strawbridge Ledyard (nee Remington).
- Acquisition information:
- The Moore Brothers Collection was donated by Augustus, Jason, Hub, and Max Moore on March 28th, 2005 and accepted by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation on February 8th, 2006.
- Processing information:
The Moore Brothers Collection was processed by Lucy Bell for the 2021/2022 grant funded project from the New York State Parks and Recreation Department to create and publish finding aids for the archives of the Lorenzo State Historic Site.
The Moore Brothers Collection is arranged into eight series: I. Correspondence, II. Business Documents and Papers, III. Estate Records, IV. Genealogy, V. Land Documents and Papers, VI. Legal Documents and Papers, VII. Lists, VIII. Maps.
Each series is arranged chronologically by decade and, if applicable, arranged alphabetically by folder title within each decade.
There have not been any accruals made to this collection nor expected to be in the future.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: a Content Standard
Lorenzo State Historic Site (Cazenovia, N.Y.)
estate administration records
York State Historic Trust
Lincklaen Lands Co. and Ltd.
Ledyard, George Strawbridge Jr.
Remington, Jane Strawbridge Ledyard
Cazenovia (N.Y. : Town)
The Moore Brothers Collection is open for public research. The Lorenzo State Historic Site archives are open to researchers by appointment only. Please call 315-655-3200 to set up your appointment.
- TERMS OF ACCESS:
Copyrighted material will be copied in accordance with copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code) and the CONTU Guidelines. Written permission from copyright owner or payment of a royalty fee may be required. The copyright law governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or other reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for a purpose in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. All responsibility for use of the reproductions is assumed by the applicant. NYS OPRHP reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its sole judgement, fulfillment of the order would involve a violation of copyright law.
- LOCATION OF THIS COLLECTION:
South Cottage17 Rippleton RoadCazenovia, NY 13035, United States