- Harber, Leonard C.
- Personal papers of Leonard Coleman Harbor, professor of dermatology at New York University and Columbia University, and served as chair of the Department of Dermatology in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University.
- 5.5 cubic feet and 7 boxes
- Danish English Japanese
- Scope and Content:
The papers document Harber’s education and career in dermatology, the bulk dates 1952 to 2011. They consist of correspondence, photographs and slides, reprints and other publications authored by Harber or about him; along with awards and certificates, diplomas, artifacts and plaques.
- Biographical / Historical:
Born on June 22, 1927 in New York City, he grew up in Long Beach, New York. Harber attended boarding school at Riverside Military Academy in Gainesville, Georgia (1942-1944) and received an AB degree from Johns Hopkins University (1949). He served in the U.S. Coast Guard (June 20, 1945-June 4, 1946) before attending New York University’s School of Medicine from which he received the MD (1953) and MS (1956, 1959) degrees. He served his internship (1953-1954) at Bellevue Hospital and joined the faculty at the NYU School of Medicine (1958-1973). Harber was also a Fulbright Scholar at the Finsen Institute in Copenhagen (1956-1957).
Harber was first appointed at Columbia University in 1973 as Professor of Dermatology and served as Chairman of the Department until June 1989 and concurrently served as Director of Dermatology Service at Presbyterian Hospital until April 1987. He was appointed Richard and Mildred Rhodebeck Professor of Dermatology June 6, 1983 and Professor Emeritus of Dermatology and Professor Emeritus of Public Health on July 1, 1994.
He died October 19 2014 at the age of 87.
- Harber, Leonard, Inactive faculty records collection, NYU School of Medicine, The Lillian and Clarence de la Chapelle Medical Archives.
- Harber, Roslyn, et al. “LEONARD HARBER's Obituary on New York Times.” Legacy.com, www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=leonard-harber&pid=172864061
- New York University Medical Quarterly (Summer 1968) v. 24, n.1, page 13.
- Acquisition information:
- Gift of the Harber Family, 2017 (accession #2017.014).
Arranged into five series: I. Subjects; II. Certificates; III. Photographs; IV. Artifacts and Plaques; V. Writings.
Open for Research.
- LOCATION OF THIS COLLECTION:
630 West 168th StreetNew York, NY 10032, United States