Buffalo History Museum.
(67.5 linear feet)
The records of the
architectural firm of James, Meadows & Howard represents the accumulated
archives of a firm dating back ninety years.
Buffalo architectural firm which originally began as Green & Wicks
in 1884. It became Edward B. Green & Son in 1917 and, upon the death of the
son in 1933, Edward B. Green. R. Maxwell James joined the firm in 1930 as a
designer and became a partner in Green & James in 1936. Rufus W. Meadows,
who joined as a designer in 1936, became a partner in Green, James &
Meadows in 1945. When Mr. Green died in 1950, the partners continued under the
name James & Meadows. Lewis E. Howard, Jr., a former associate, rejoined
Green, James & Meadows in 1946. In 1953 he became a partner in James,
Meadows & Howard. The firm's designs included the Federal Reserve Bank on
South Elmwood Avenue, and buildings in the Buffalo General Hospital and
Children's Hospital complexes, Erie County Medical Center, and at the
University of Buffalo. Mr. Howard died in 1956. The firm was dissolved in
The records of the architectural firm of James, Meadows & Howard
represents the accumulated archives of a firm dating back ninety years. The
records include log books, construction specification books, bids, contracts,
plans and blueprints, correspondence, invoices, site photographs and other
records of an architectural firm of local importance commissioned to design a
wide variety of structures, including many hospitals, churches, banks and other
Specifications for Falconwood Club, Buffalo Historical Society Building, Clifton Park Memorial, Crippled Children's Home, and Albright Art Gallery Transferred from Iconography section, 1975.
This collection is arranged in four series:
I. Log Books
II. Construction Specifications
III. Job Files
IV. Miscellaneous Photographs, Concrete Site Reports, Cost Books and Contracts
The archival practice of maintaining the original arrangement of the firm's records has been carefully observed here. Alphabetical arrangement within series.
James, Meadows & Howard Records, 1893-1974 (bulk 1951-1971), are
open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors,
or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written
permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Buffalo History Museum before publishing quotations from materials in the
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Mss. C74-2, James,
Meadows & Howard Records, 1893-1974 (bulk 1951-1971), Research Library,
Buffalo History Museum.