This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
Constantine L’vovich Zakhartchenko was born in Lublin, Russia in 1900. From 1916 to 1920 he studied at the Russian Imperial Naval Academy on active duty as midshipman, second mate, and second officer. In 1923 he graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From 1934 to 1943 he worked as assistant chief engineer at the Shiuchow Aircraft Works in Kwantung, China. From 1943 to 1948 he worked as chief engineer at McDonnell Aircraft Corporation in the Helicopter & Propulsion research division. From 1950 to 1956 Zahkartchenko worked for the United States Navy as Director of Engineering at the United States Naval Ordnance Experimental Unit, Potomac River Naval Command. He was awarded the U.S. Navy distinguished civilian service award in 1956. Zakhartchenko died in Washington, D.C. in 1987.
These papers contain the personal documents and correspondence of Constantine L’vovich Zakhartchenko, a Russian émigré and aeronautical engineer. In the course of his engineering career, Zakhartchenko was involved with the design and development of numerous aircraft, aircraft components, and missiles, including the jet engine afterburner, the McDonnell ZHJD-1 twin engine helicopter, and ZAUM-N-Z cruise missile.
The SUBJECT FILE includes materials on the professional interests of Zakhartchenko, as well as his activity as an Imperial Naval Academy alumnus. Major themes include aeronautical engineering, politics and issues relating to space and arms race, Soviet politics, and history.
Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.