This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
The Russkaia sredniaia shkola v Parizhe was a Russian Secondary school in Paris, which operated from 1920-1961, and graduated more than 1,200 students during that time. A major educational centre for children of Russian émigrés, the school was originally opened with the support of the Russian Consulate in 1920, and through the initiative of M. A. Maklakova and V. B. Nedachin. The school soon began operating independently, while receiving support from the Obshchestvo prosveshcheniia detei bezhentsov iz Rossii. In 1928, it received generous contributions, including real estate, from Lidiia Pavlovna Deterdling, which allowed it to operate for the following decades in the same location. Teachers of the Russian secondary school in Paris included B. A. Durov, G. A. Lozinskii, S. G. Popich, E. A. Sham’e, P. P. Sakharov, K. D. Starynkevich, and P. P. Troitskii.
As a major educational centre, the Russkaia sredniaia shkola v Parizhe received applications from children of Russian émigrés of different social backgrounds, including Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich, Konstantin Bagration-Mukhranskii, Tikhon Nikolaevich Kulikovskii, Nicholas Zernov, and others.
This collections contains the records of the Russkaia sredniaia shkola v Parizhe. The Office file consists of detailed organizational files, including attendance records, applications, correspondence, employment files, grade reports, financial records, historical documents, lists of students and teachers, minutes, reports, and student files, which contain more than 1,800 applications for admission. The Photographs show prints of pupils and teachers between the years 1928 and 1949.
Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.