This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
Ivan Alekseevich Poliakov was born in Russia in 1886. He graduated the Nikolaevskoe inzhenernoe uchilishche in 1914. During the First World War, Poliakov served in the Ninth Army with the rank of captain. In 1918, Poliakov arrived at the Don River and joined General Petr Nikolaevich Krasnov's Don Cossack Army. In 1919, Poliakov emigrated to Serbia. In 1947, in the wake of Operation Keelhaul and the repatriation of the Cossacks, Poliakov was assigned as acting ataman of the Don Cossack's. Poliakov emigrated to the United States in 1952, and died in New York in 1969.
These papers contain the correspondence, and writings of Ivan Alekseevich Poliakov, participant in the Don Cossack uprising of 1918, and ataman of the Don Cossacks in emigration since 1947. The Correspondence file includes detailed correspondence with leading Russian émigré military and social leaders, and provides a rich source of information on the activities of Cossack activities in the diaspora.
Poliakov’s Speeches and writings include the typescript of Donskie kazaki v bor’be s bol’shevikami, as well as related correspondence and reviews. In addition, several articles, notes, speeches, and materials relating to Poliakov’s monograph Krasnov-Vlasov: vospominaniia are included.
The Subject file includes materials on the history of the Don and Kuban Cossacks, the Russkii obshche-voinskii soiuz, and General A. A. Vlasov. Of special significance are documents relating to the Don Cossack ataman elections in the diaspora.
Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.