The Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary Manuscript Collection, 1914 - 1963

Descriptive Identification

Repository
Foundation of Russian History,
1407 Robinson Road
Jordanville, NY 13361
Extent
4 cubic feet (10 manuscript boxes)
Creator
Holy Trinity Seminary (Jordanville, N.Y.)
Language
Russian
Abstract
This collection contains original holograph and typescripts donated to Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary.

Download Container List

Administrative Information

Access Restriction

This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Use Restriction

Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Biographical/Historical Commentary

Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary, established in 1948, is an institution of higher learning located in Jordanville, NY. The seminary is located on the grounds of Holy Trinity Monastery. Founded in 1930, the monastery became a haven for refugees fleeing religious and political persecution in the Soviet Union. Over the years, the monastery and seminary became a spiritual center of the Russian diaspora, preserving traditions that were being destroyed by the Communist regime in Soviet Russia. Notably, the monastery became a center for the publication of religious literature.

Scope and Content

This collection contains individual holographs and typescripts (with occasional associated correspondence) donated to Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary. The majority of these materials are in Russian, and include previously unpublished memoirs, historical essays and poetry. Among the authors are veterans of the White Army, whose memoirs focus, among other topics, on Imperial Russia, the revolution of 1917, the Russian Civil War, and émigré existence.

Among the manuscripts relating to the Russian Army in the First World War are V. Granberg, “27-aia pekhotnaia diviziia v boiu pod Stallupenenom i v srazhenii pod Gumbinenom,” and Georgii Ottonovich Raukh, “2-aia gvardeiskaia kavaleriiskaia diviziia v Vostochnoi Prussii 23 iiunia – 7 sentiabria 1914 goda.” The third volume of the memoirs of Prince Nikolai Zhevakhov, former assistant ober-prokuror of the Holy Synod, concerning his life and activities in emigration, are a continuation of two previously published volumes of memoirs covering the period 1915-1917. This third volume was never published.

Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.