The Konstantin Stavrovich Cherkassov (Lagoridov) Papers, 1984

Descriptive Identification

Repository
Foundation of Russian History,
1407 Robinson Road
Jordanville, NY 13361
Extent
0.4 cubic feet (1 manuscript box)
Creator
Cherkassov, Konstantin
Language
Russian
Abstract
This collection contains the manuscript of Cherkassov's novel "Mezhdu dvukh ognei," along with related correspondence.

Download Container List

Administrative Information

Access Restriction

This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Use Restriction

Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Biographical/Historical Commentary

Konstantin Stavrovich Cherkassov was born Konstantin Stavrovich Lagoridov in Taganrog, Russia in 1921. During the Second World War, Cherkassov served in Andrei Vlasov's Rossiiskaia osvoboditel’naia armiia (ROA), holding the rank of Captain in the 5th Cossack Division. After the war, Cherkassov lived in a displaced persons camp in Parsch, Austria, before emigrating to Australia in 1949.

Scope and Content

These papers contain Konstantin Stavrovich Cherkassov’s novel “Mezhdu dvukh ognei” in manuscript form. As a former member of General Andrei Vlasov’s Rossiiskaia osvoboditel’naia armiia, Cherkassov wrote this work of historical fiction drawing on facts experienced first-hand. Cherkassov was born Lagoridov, but adopted his new name after World War II. He was a captain in the 5th Cossack Division under the command of General Ivan Kononov, and later served as reconnaissance officer. After World War II, Cherkassov first assumed the last name Dulshers. Cherkassov lived in a displaced persons camp in Parsch, Austria, until 1949, when he emigrated to Australia, where he worked as a gardener. Included are his letters to Archbishop Laurus, to whom he submitted his manuscript for consideration for publication by Holy Trinity Monastery’s printshop of St. Job of Pochaev.

Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Controlled Access Headings