The Archbishop Apollinarii Koshevoi Papers, 1874 - 1935

Descriptive Identification

Repository
Foundation of Russian History,
1407 Robinson Road
Jordanville, NY 13361
Extent
1.2 cubic feet (3 manuscript boxes)
Creator
Apollinarii, Abp. of North America and Canada, 1874-1933
Language
EnglishRussian
Abstract
This collection contains the correspondence and writings of Archbishop Apollinarii (Koshevoi), ruling hierarch of the North American diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia from 1927 to 1933.

Download Container List

Administrative Information

Access Restriction

This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Use Restriction

Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Biographical/Historical Commentary

Born in Valok, Poltava guberniia, Russia in 1874, Archbishop Apollinarri (Koshevoi) graduated from the Romenskoe dukhovnoe uchilishche in 1888 and the Poltavskaia dukhovnaia seminariia in 1894. He was tonsured a monk in 1898, and in 1905 he graduated from the Kievskaia dukhovnaia akademiia. In 1917 he was made the bishop of Belgorod, and in 1922 he was sent to Jerusalem to oversee the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission. In 1924 he emigrated to North America, becoming bishop of Winnipeg, and in 1927 he was made Bishop of North America and San Francisco. In 1929 he was made Archbishop of North America and Canada, a position he held until his death in 1933.

Scope and Content

These papers reflect the ecclesiastical career path of Archbishop Apollinarii (Koshevoi), beginning with his educational formation in pre-Revolutionary Russia to emigration, first in Serbia, then Jerusalem, Palestine, and, finally, as Archbishop of North America and Canada. His assignments, both in Jerusalem and North America, coincided with difficult jurisdictional controversies, especially on the North American continent. His CORRESPONDENCE reveals a lively exchange with both clergy and parishioners in the U.S. and Canada, and includes directives, ukazy, and ecclesiastical documents forwarded to him from the ecclesiastical administration of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia in Belgrade, Serbia.

Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.