This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.
Born in Saint Petersburg, Russia in 1890, Viktor Andreevich Konovalov served in the White Army during the Russian Civil War, evacuating to Constantinople in 1920. From there, he emigrated to Canada, settling in Montreal where he became involved in the establishment of a parish and diocese under the auspices of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. Konovalov was tonsured a monk, taking the name Amvrosii and establishing Pokrov Skete in Bluffton, Alberta. Konovalov died in Jordanville, New York in 1971.
This collection contains the papers of Viktor Andreevich Konovalov, a self-proclaimed missionary of Canada in emigration, and later a Russian Orthodox monk and abbot of the Pokrov Skete in Bluffton, Alberta, Canada. Konovalov’s rich CORRESPONDENCE includes letters to and from prominent hierarchs of the Russian diaspora, located throughout the world, and provides a significant source for information on Russian Orthodoxy in North America in the Interwar years as well as in the immediate aftermath of World War II. In addition, Konovalov’s papers present a valuable record of the functioning and economic struggles of the Pokrov Skete in Alberta, Canada.
The SPEECHES AND WRITINGS file reflects the personal interests of Fr. Amvrosii, which included eschatological research as well as studies of holy fathers and church history. The SUBJECT FILE materials relating to the history of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, including an almost complete collection of “Tserkovnyia viedomosti,” the official ecclesiastical periodical of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia during the Interwar years.
Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.