The Vasilii Ivanovich Alekseev Papers, 1954 - 1967

Descriptive Identification

Repository
Foundation of Russian History,
1407 Robinson Road
Jordanville, NY 13361
Extent
1.2 cubic feet (3 manuscript boxes)
Creator
Alekseev, V. I. (Vasiliĭ Ivanovich), 1906-
Language
EnglishGermanRussian
Abstract
These papers reflect the writings and research interests of Vasilii Ivanovich Alekseev, a historian, writer, and professor in emigration. Among his writings are works related to the Russian Orthodox Church in the Soviet Union under the German occupation.

Download Container List

Administrative Information

Access Restriction

This collection is open for research according to the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Use Restriction

Permission to quote (publish) from unpublished or previously published material must be obtained as described in the regulations of the Foundation of Russian History.

Biographical/Historical Commentary

Born in Vladimir, Russia in 1906, Vasilii Ivanovich Alekseev graduated from Moscow State University in 1930. That same year he was arrested and sentenced to five years in a labor camp, being released in 1934. In 1941, Alekseev was drafted into the Soviet Army. In 1942 he was interned in a German POW camp, remaining there for the duration of the Second World War. In 1951 Alekseev arrived in the United States, settling in Minnesota. He taught Russian history at the University of Minnesota from 1955 to his retirement in 1975. Alekseev died in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 2002.

Scope and Content

These papers reflect the writings and research interests of Vasilii Ivanovich Alekseev, a historian, writer, and professor in emigration. Among his writings are works related to the Russian Orthodox Church in the Soviet Union under the German occupation. The Speeches and writings and Subject file include notes and copied archival documents, relating to Alekseev’s dissertation, and research interests.

Detailed processing and preservation microfilming for these materials were made possible by a generous grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and by matching funds from the Hoover Institution and the Holy Trinity Seminary. The grant also provides depositing a microfilm copy in the Hoover Institution Archives. The original materials remain in the Holy Trinity Seminary Archives as its property. A transfer table indicating corresponding box and reel numbers is appended to this register. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.