The Pan-American Exposition Company was incorporated under the Pan-American bill signed by Governor Theodore Roosevelt on Jan. 20, 1899. The bill became Chapter 2 of the New York State laws of 1899.
Twenty-five of the more than 300 incorporators were elected to serve three-year terms as members of the board of directors. The board was charged with making and amending Exposition by-laws, electing a president, ten or more vice-presidents, a secretary, a treasurer, creating committees as needed, and filling all vacant positions. The board also formed an executive committee, and appointed a director general, an auditor, and a board of women managers.
The board of directors elected John G. Milburn president, and appointed William Buchanan director-general. The following committees were created: finance; concessions and exhibits; transportation; publicity; law and insurance; foreign relations; and printing and supplies.
Minutes of the Board of Directors, 1899-1909; financial records, including cash books, ledgers, a record of insurance, and auditors' memoranda; site selection records; an index to exhibits; construction field books; Board of Women Managers' minutes and visitor register; correspondence, reports, and memoranda of the Director-General; also budgets, estimates, and contracts of the Director-General; a letter to Roswell Park concerning the operation on President McKinley; Press Dept. and Bureau of Information reports; Division of Ethnology and Archaeology visitor registers and exhibit records; New York State Building visitor registers; and U.S. Government Building guard orders and personnel lists.
This collection is arranged in eleven series:
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Library's online catalog.