Processed in 2002 by Amy C. Schindler.
Access to this record group is unrestricted.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
All items in this manuscript group were loaned to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, for preservation photocopying by the Albany Allied Printing Trades Council.
Preferred citation for this material is as follows:
Identification of specific item, series, box, folder, Albany Allied Printing Trades Council Records, 1908-1990. M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as [shortened name]).
The Albany Allied Printing Trades Council was an organization of local unions involved in all aspects of the printing trade in Albany, New York. Council members came from the International Typographical Union, the International Printing Pressmen and Assistants' Union, the International Brotherhood of Bookbinders, the International Stereotypers and Electrotypers' Union, the International Photoengravers' Union, and the International Mailers' Union. The composition of the council included those local unions whose members were printers, bookbinders, stereotypers, electrotypers, photoengravers, and mailers. Each union was entitled to have three delegates as representatives on the Council. The Council oversaw use of the union label and worked for the common interests of the unions it represented. It did not work as a bargaining agent, but left those interests to affiliated unions.
The Albany Allied Printing Trades Council collection contains meeting minutes from 1908-1915 and 1930-1988. Council by-laws are available from 1910, 1967, and 1990. The Council's correspondence is sporadic from 1959 through 1985. The collection also includes the Council's union label slug.
For additional labor collections in the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, consult the subject guide for Labor.